One question that comes up time and time again is “When do you hire your wedding photographer ?”. I’m a not sure why it’s such a popular question because I thought the answer was simple: BOOK YOUR PHOTOGRAPHER AS SOON AS POSSIBLE! Seriously, brides and grooms: AS. SOON. AS. POSSIBLE. Why ? (it’s really quite logical, when you think of it):
The Average Length of an Engagement
- The average Canadian couple is engaged for approximately 19 months.
- After getting engaged and celebrating with family, couples typically choose their date and immediately sit down and start looking for vendors.
Which Vendors get Booked First
- The vendors that the vast majority of couples book first are: reception location, ceremony location and photographer.
- This means that these major players can book, on average, 15 to 18 months in advance.
Popular Wedding Dates
- Some wedding dates are simply more popular than others.
- August and September remain the 2 most popular months for weddings followed by July, October, June and July.
- If you’re getting married during a popular month it’s more crucial to book your vendors as soon as possible because their stands a greater possibility of them already being booked.
Those where three really great reasons why you should book your photographer as soon as possible. Still not convinced?
Here are a few more key pieces of advice for hiring your wedding photographer (or any vendor):
Email inquiry does not guarantee you the date:
- Never assume that just because you sent an email to inquire about their services that the vendor will hold that date for you. Dates are formally reserved only when a deposit is placed and a contract is signed.
Book your consult as soon as possible:
- If you are not ready to schedule a consult do not email with an inquiry because there is a good chance that in between the time of your original email and the time that you are ready to finally meet, someone else will have booked them.
Minimize your consults:
Do not wast your time, meeting with a dozen different vendors. Use their online portfolios to narrow it down to 2 or 3, your consult should be the time that you decide whether or not you have chemistry with them – not view their portfolios.
If you love the service your vendor can provide and you really feel that chemistry with them then I suggest booking them at the consult! If you’re sure about your choice of vendor there is nothing wrong with securing their services.
There is always the chance that a vendors prices can increase over time; as the cost of running a business increases a vendor must increase the cost of their services to compensate. When you book your vendor and securing your package, you are securing that price, too! This means that by the time your walk down the aisle rolls around you could be saving a lot of money compared to that vendors current prices.
Your Friendly – Toronto Wedding Photographer
Leave a reply